Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The start.

Hello all,

My name is Matt, and I'm a fatty.

I'm 30 years old, I have an amazing wife Amy, and 3 amazing kiddos, Ella, Jack, and Molly.
This Journey is as much about them, as it is about me.

The majority of my life has been spent overweight. It has ebbed and flowed, went up and down. There have been times where I was certainly big still, but not obese. The last five years has been a roller coaster ride of weight loss and weight gain. When Amy and I married in June of 09, I weighed just under 320 lbs. I certainly wasn't healthy, but with my frame, I didn't feel terrible. I was still able to play football and do pretty much anything physically that I wanted, or needed to do.  I quickly shot up to 360lbs over the next year and a half. When our second child was on the way in 2011, I decided it was time to do something about it. I started a fad diet (atkins) and was working out/ walking 4-5 times a week. I lost 35lbs in 3-4 months. When Jack was born, we spent 10 days with him in the NICU. I completely stopped following atkins, and never got back in to working out after that 10 days.

Fast forward to December 2013. We now have 3 amazing little kiddos.There are so many things I want to do with them, but there is so much that I can't. I step on the scale the week before Christmas, and I'm 396lbs. WOW. I knew I had gained a little weight.. But I had no clue.

I have known for longer than I care to admit that I would have to face this battle some day. If I truly wanted to have a long happy life, I had to do this. If I wanted to see my kids grow up, and be an active part of their life, I had to do this. You would think that would be enough, that those things alone could force someone to change.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy. If it was, no one would be overweight.

I have decided to share my journey. Partly because I think it will help me stay accountable, and partly because I hope it helps someone else start their own journey. Please keep in mind that I'm working to find what works best for ME on MY journey.  Everyone will be different.




No comments:

Post a Comment